Sebastian teaches broadly in philosophy. He is interested in both practical and theoretical issues. In addition, he teaches the works of several important figures in the history of Western philosophy. Before joining Peking University, Sebastian taught philosophy at Christ Church, University of Oxford.
DPhil, 2018, University of Oxford
MPhil, 2014, University of London
BA, 2011, University of G?ttingen
Research Interests (in alphabetical order)
Aesthetics, Epistemology, Ethics, History of Analytic Philosophy, Logic, Philosophy of Mind
Work in Progress
- 'Austin on Analysis'
- 'Entertaining Unhappiness'
- 'Formalisation for Philosophy'
- 'Intuition and Ideology'
- 'Intuitive Skill'
- 'Modern Socrates'
- 'On the Privacy of Complex Thought and Its Publication'
- 'What Is Intuition?'
- 2019 Wittgenstein on Philosophy, Objectivity, and Meaning, co-edited with James Conant, Cambridge University Press
- 2018 'Logic and Philosophy of Logic in Wittgenstein', Australasian Journal of Philosophy 96/1: 168–82
- 2015 'The Importance of Understanding Each Other in Philosophy', Philosophy 90/2: 213–39 (awarded the Royal Institute of Philosophy Essay Prize)
- 2020 Modern Socrates; Centre for Philosophy, Ethics and Religion, Charles University Prague, Czech Republic, Sept. 12–14
- 2020 Plato's paradox; 43rd International Wittgenstein Symposium, Kirchberg am Wechsel, Austria, Aug. 9–15
- 2019 Intuitive skill, Peking University, China, Nov. 27
- 2019 Paradox, intuition and logic, Peking University, China, May 20
- 2018 Complex thought and private language; APA Eastern, Savannah, GA, USA, Jan. 3–6
- 2017 Intuitive judgement, Oxford, May 26
- 2016 G?del's Incompleteness Theorems (symposium with L.C. Pereira), Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil, June 23
- 2016 Intuitions, logic and ordinary language, Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil, June 22
- 2016 Logical form and film, New University of Lisbon, Portugal, May 3
- 2015 Moral intuitions and ethical theory; Wittgensteinian Approaches to Moral Philosophy, KU Leuven, Belgium, Sept. 17–19
- 2015 Austin on analysis; Society for the Study of the History of Analytical Philosophy, Trinity College Dublin, Ireland, June 4–6
- 2015 The phenomenology of intuitions, Oxford, May 20
Recent and Upcoming Courses
University of Oxford
- Analytic philosophy, 2020
- Early analytic philosophy, 2019
- Epistemology, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
- Ethics, 2019
- Introduction to ethics, 2017, 2018, 2019
- Introduction to logic, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
- Introduction to philosophy, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
- Metaphysics, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
- Philosophical logic, 2016
- Philosophy of logic and language, 2018, 2019
- Philosophy of mind, 2016, 2017, 2018
- Wittgenstein, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
Mail: Department of Philosophy, Peking University, Beijing 100871, China